5 Dec 2003

05.12.03 - One of us, one of us

Yesterday, it pleased her Majesty's goverment to grant me indefinite leave to remain. In other words, I was given residency in the United Kingdom and I'm no longer dependent on an employer sponsoring a work visa to remain in the UK. It's a type of freedom, and some reassurance, and an oh so lovely goal I've accomplished. In 12 short months I can apply for citizenship which has become an increasingly important idea -- I want to really feel I belong here. I want to be able to vote and influence the country. I want to know that this small dark island I've made my home counts me in its citizenship.



The responses from friends has been amusing to read. The Americans are very earnest in their congratulations. The Brits have, without fail, taken the piss (which really tells me I'm fitting in.)

No comments: