3 Feb 2003

Jaded. I have vivid memories of the explosion of the space shuttle Challenger. It was home ill from school and watching the landing when the horrific images were played and replayed. It was the first time television had the power to make me sit stunned, unable to look away. Even though I was 17, I felt like a helpless child who'd had the wind knocked out of him.



In contrast, the crash of the Columbia, equally tragic, barely blipped across the events of the weekend. Have I become numb to the spectacle of tragedy? Does it have less impact because the world is so changed? Does the scale seem so less tragic and impactful after 11 September because it's 7 and not 3,000? Have American failings become less unthinkable in those 17 years and few days?



If the reports are true, and warnings were muffled because of committee shufflings and wranglings and budget talks, I hope we take a moment to hang our heads in shame. America got to space because we once had the strength of conviction in our dreams, and now may not have the strength to not falter - in so many of our dreams and ideals.

No comments: