15 May 2003

Who's there? Is anyone actually reading this? If you are, drop me an email at brianj777@mac.com.



Thoughts I'm having a charming email exchange with a charming man, but have lately started to feel that it's very one-sided. And let's face it, I love talking about myself. It's therapeutic. He encourages me to be less self-conscious, but surely not everyone is interested in what's going in my head all the time. So, I'll broaden the discussion.



Several Texan Democrats fled to Oklahoma to avoid a quorum about questionable congressional district redrawing plans brought about by the Republicans. I love this story, although I'm sure there are hundreds of reasons to flee Texas.



I found out that oxtail is, indeed, the tail of any beef animal. But it's never tiger, despite what the Restaurant Georges thinks.



Tony Blair has dodged calls to let Britain vote on a referendum about the broadening of the EU's constitution and Britain adopting the Euro. 80-something % of the country thinks there should be a referendum. And I hate to agree with the bland little man who leads the Tories, but I agree that Blair's adopted a presidential tone that's hindering, not helping government. Our treasury has said the EU hasn't met the five benchmarks we agreed to before joining the Euro and the country doesn't seem to want to do it. 9th June appears to be the date, but how the public will be considered is uncertain.



London's bidding to host the Olympics. Fuck me, the city's already packed with people.



I'm flummoxed that the US has gone after Saudi Arabia for not doing more to prevent the weekend's bombings. Should Saudi Arabia have done more? Likely. Should the US piss off one of it's only allies and sources of intelligence in the Middle East? Don't seem very smart to me.



No comments: