14 May 2006

Americans in Paris

Ah Paris in Spring. The flowers, the sunshine, the beautiful people out in the parks, the skeletons...

Jess and I spent a long weekend in Paris. She had never been. I've been many times, but still feel like it's my first time whenever I go. We discussed what to see on the train and the only thing that really piqued Jessica's interest was the Catacombs. I'd never been - it's truly morbid. In the 1780s the overflowing cemeteries were causing disease, so the city dug up the old cemeteries and deposited the skeletal remains in old quarries in the north of the Paris. They were wheel the skeletons by night, build barriers from skulls, limbs and mortar and dump the rest of the skeletons behind. They did this for about 90 years, then had the morbid idea of opening the catacombs for tours, added a few plagues with cheery quotations about death and voila! The catacombs of Paris.

The rest of the weekend we spent eating, drinking, shopping and walking. I hope Jess enjoyed it. I did.

No comments: