30 Sept 2009

The King of Madison Avenue


Yesterday we hosted a book signing for Kenneth Roman, former CEO and chairman of Ogilvy, for his new book on David Ogilvy, The King of Madison Avenue. It has received positive reviews, and interest in what is arguably one of the most famous men in advertising is at an all-time high due to the popularity of Mad Men.

He told a few anecdotes about David and shared the discrepancies he found in his research between the myth (some told by the man himself) and the fact. One thing was clear: David was a charming genius who understood how to sell: his clients' products, his agency and his image.

During the signing I told Kenneth that I began my advertising career at Hal Riney & Partners (previously O+M West, now Publicis/ HRP) sitting underneath a gigantic portrait of Ogilvy. I made the mistake of asking a colleague who the old man in the portrait was in front of Hal and got a polite bollocking (and a history lesson). I told Kenneth I never imagined then I'd be heading up experience planning at Ogilvy in London all these years later.

Mr. Roman kindly inscribed my book: 'For Brian - David would have admired what you're doing - and that you trained with Hal. With best wishes, Kenneth Roman.'

That made my day. It will likely make many days ahead as it reminds me of the power of the legacy embedded in the organisation he built. Ogilvy retired in 73, and passed away in 1999, but ten years on he's still very much with us.

No comments: