18 Sept 2001

It seemed impossible to think about continuing the travelogue on Tuesday. Such terrible violence, unthinkable, really. I woke up from a nap to see the first tower on fire and sat for four hours glued to CNN. Incomprehensible, really.



Now, a week later I'm back from Greece. John was in Ireland when it happened and is just making his way back today. I'm praying he arrives in the US safe and sound.



I'm in turns impressed, then dismayed about what I'm seeing from the US. The outpouring of emotion and compassion was touching, and it's brilliant to see how heroic and unselfish some people are. But I'm sick to death of the "they can't get away with doing this to Americans" rhetoric and startled by the reports of violence against muslim people. It's sad that there were so many victims, but no more sad that it was America than if it had been Northern Ireland or Kosovo or Iran or Indonesia. The sanctity of life has to be as applicable to Kurdish, the Zimbabweans, the Pakistanis as it is to the Americans. Hopefully this helps shore up our resolve to protect life and freedom and democracy and human respect and not just simply an exercise in American isolationism.



Unfortunately, I also fear this is all pointing out what an inarticulate, jargon-mongering fool Bush is and one can only hope he does as little damage as possible.



I hope everyone's loved ones are safe and well.

No comments: